Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Why 40 adventures for turning 40?



Why 40 for 40?

After New Year’s of this year, I found myself feeling down and was wondering why I was feeling that way. I know a lot about depression and I know there’s not always a cause or trigger; but still I wondered. I have a great job, awesome family, great friends, lots of support. Everyone’s healthy, we’re very involved in the community, my wife is able to be at home with our boys and we had just bought a new house that we’re really excited about, so what was it? Then I realized, it was age…I’m turning 40 and I miss my youth. Everything is great in my life but with all of this came lots of responsibility – at work, home, the family and being involved in many things.  And so I think I also missed the irresponsibility & freedom that came along with youth and realized that’s not coming back!   

I always tell my family that attitude is the most important thing and the only real thing in life you can control. You can’t control what happens to you but you can control your attitude. I tell my sons in sports that attitude comes first and effort comes second.  And so I listened to my own advice and that’s where it came to me; rather than being depressed about turning 40 and the loss of my youth, I was going to embrace it, celebrate it.  So I decided that I’d take on 40 adventures throughout the year.  Now that’s a lot of adventures! And I have responsibilities – a job, house, family. I can’t just pick up and backpack around Europe or Southeast Asia.  So instead, the focus is to do 40 things that have meaning; in my current life, in my past, or with purpose in general. 

I have done some big things and will do some more but the majority will be little things.  I plan to embrace the little adventures of my everyday current life; reconnect with people and memories from my past; surprise some people; travel; and do some of things I’ve been talking about doing but have put off.  Having a goal to complete 40 adventures means I will need to be focused, planning and not procrastinate. 

So that’s what it is. You’re welcome to follow along on here, facebook, and Instagram. I’m very bad about keeping in touch with people over the phone or email and keeping up with this blog is the same for me. With this goal, I will try my best to keep up to date.  Hopefully you’re inspired to do something similar for you 40th, or 25th, 30th, 50th…etc.

Follow Along!  -  Instagram - #40forturning40

The Adventure Begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment